Thursday, April 19, 2007

So we're even?

Today I discovered that my check to the US Treasury was deposited into an account at Bank of America. I had owed 38 dollars as the result of capital gains in 2005 that I failed to report. Thanks to sharp reminders from my accountant friend Jehangir, I finally am square with the IRS. I figured I shouldn't guess how much interest they wanted.

The schedule d is surprisingly simple, but not intuitive. I'm glad I got a discounted old version of TaxCut for a couple dollars. That, in turn, made it easier to file taxes for 2006 as you can import last year's data into TaxCut.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

just because they cashed your check doesn't mean that they haven't levied some claim of interest due or something-- the IRS are relentless bastards that way. Follow up. Trust me, I used to work in an accounting office, and heard some horror stories. One restaurateur learned he owed over five grand for a two-hundred dollar typographical mistake three years before.

Will said...

I really hope I get a bill in the mail then. I'll give them until they give me my return...